The Hilderstone Miscellany

The Hilderstone Miscellany



The history of Hilderstone is a long one. The first recorded reference to the village, known to the author of this page, is in 670 AD. The name Heldulvestone and its variant are of Saxon derivation.  The origin of Hilderstone is Hildewulf's ton. Hildewulf means a warrior wolf and ton a place or town. Thus Hilderstone was the place of the warrior wolf.

Numerous variations of the name appear over the centuries, including Heluveston, Hildulweston, Hildreston, Hildelweston, Hyldeleston, Hyldreston, Hilderson.

Like much in Hilderstone little has changed over the years and signs of the Saxon strip and terrace farming are still visible in the village today.

There is mention of the village at the time of the Doomsday Book. A translation of this is found on the Doomsday page.

[It is to be noted that in 1086 there were two manors in what is now Hilderstone. It appears that at some time they became united. The transactions below relate in the first place to the manor held of  Robert of Stafford. Further research is to be undertaken to ascertain when and if the manor held of the king became held with the other.]

At the time of William the Conquer, the manor of Hilderstone was held by Vitalis, of Robert of Stafford. Hugh Fitzodo likely to be a sub-tenant.

In 1138 (or 1166) land in the manor of Hilderstone (or one of them) was granted to Robert Fitzodo.

The manor then passed to the family de Hugglesford.

From them it passed to Sir John Delves. His daughter, Helen, married Sir Robert Sheffield, who became Recorder of London.

Hilderstone remained in the ownership of the Sheffield family for a time.

It was then sold to Sir Gilbert Gerard of Gerards Bromley (whose wonderful tomb is at Ashley). Hilderstone passed to Thomas, First Lord Gerard and thence to Richard Gerard. Richard Gerard's  sons predeceased him and the Hilderstone lands then passed with Frances Gerard on her marriage to Thomas Fleetwood.

The Meynell family (whose successors were later to be so well known at Ashley and Hoar Cross) foreclosed on a mortgage of the estate and were its next owners.

After that the Hilderstone estate went to Richard Fitzherbert and Francis Berresford.

Later the manor passed to Richard Berresford and in 1802 to George Vernon.

In 1816 Ralph Bourne purchased Hilderstone Hall and the Hilderstone estate.

The estate was broken up in 1907, but descendants of Ralph Bourne continued to live at Hilderstone Hall until the 1950.

Mr. John Sadler (of Sadler's Teapots) then purchased Hilderstone Hall.

Hilderstone Hall is now an old people's and residential home.




War Memorial

Robin Hood

Gerard Family

Edward Elgar

A Sullivan


Toll road

Horse dealer



Christ Church

Collins window




This web site is provided as a service to the village by J and D Crump.  Last updated 28 August 2015.  The compilation of, and the original material in, this site is copyright 1999 to 2015 J and D Crump.